Professor Joseph T. Hupp
Education | Experience | Honors | Activities | Publications
Birth date: March 23, 1957; Cuba, New York.
|Houghton College||Chemistry||B.S. 1979|
|Michigan State University||Chemistry||Ph.D. 1983|
|University of North Carolina||Res. Assoc., Chemistry||1984-1986|
|2008-Present||Senior Science Fellow, Division of Chemical Sciences and Engineering, Argonne National Lab|
|2000-Present||Morrison Professor of Chemistry, Northwestern University|
|1998-2000||Dow Professor of Chemistry, Northwestern University|
|1993-Present||Professor, Department of Chemistry, Northwestern University|
|1990-1993||Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, Northwestern University|
|1986-1990||Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, Northwestern University|
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry, 2014
- Thomson-Reuters ISI "Highly Cited Researcher", 2014
- Stephanie L. Kwolek Award, Royal Society of Chemistry, 2014
- Hoffman Lecturer, Florida State University, 2014
- Charles N. Reilly Award, Society for Electroanalytical Chemistry, 2014
- International Award, Japan Society for Coordination Chemistry, 2013
- Plenary Lecturer, Griffith Memorial Lecturer, University of New Orleans, 2012
- American Chemical Society, Division of Analytical Chemistry, Award in Electrochemistry, 2012
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2012
- Coates Lecturer, University of Wyoming, 2012
- Gomberg Lecturer, University of Michigan, 2011
- Kolthoff Lecturer, University of Minnesota, 2011
- Co-chair, 2011 Gordon Research Conference on “Renewable Energy: Solar Fuels”.
- Houghton College Alumnus of the Year, 2010.
- Distinguished Alumni Lecturer, Michigan State University, 2010.
- H. H. King Lecturer, Kansas State University, 2008.
- “Outstanding Research Achievement Award” for the 2008 DTRA Chem-Bio Defense Conference.
- IAPS Award of the Inter-American Photochemical Society, 2007.
- David C. Grahame Award, Electrochemical Society, 2007.
- Carl Wagner Memorial Award, Electrochemical Society, 2005.
- Morrison Professorship, 2000-present.
- Dow Professorship, 1998-2000.
- National Fresenius Award of Phi Lambda Upsilon, 1993.
- Henry and Camille Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award, 1991-96.
- Alfred P. Sloan Fellow, 1990-92.
- Atlantic Richfield Foundation Junior Faculty Fellow, 1986-87.
- NSF Presidential Young Investigator, 1986-91.
- Sohio Fellowship, Michigan State University, summer 1982.
- Deputy Director, DOE Energy Frontier Research Center for Inorganometallic Catalyst Design
- Scientific Advisory Board, Joint Center for Artificial Photosynthesis (DOE “Solar Hub”) Caltech/Berkeley
- Co-chair, 2011 Gordon Research Conference on “Renewable Energy: Solar Fuels”
- Program Review Committee for Nanoscience Center at Northern Illinois University (2011)
- Review panel member for Caltech’s NSF-CCI “Powering the Planet” program (2010)
- Ireland Solar Research Center, funded by the Irish National Science Foundation, review panel (2010)
- Center Management Review Panel member for DOE’s “Energy Frontier Research Center” program
- Chair of Northwestern University, Department of Chemistry (2006-2009)
- Lawrence Berkeley Lab, Helios Solar Energy Research Center, review panel
- External Reviewer for the School of Basic Sciences of the EPFL (Lausanne, Switzerland)
- Brookhaven National Laboratory, Dept. of Applied Chemistry, review panel
- National Renewable Energy Lab, Solar Photochemistry Program, review panel
- Notre Dame Radiation Laboratory, review panel
- Co-organizer of Inter-American Photochemical Society Meeting
- Co-organizer of Japan-USA Symposium on Coordination Space
- Co-organizer of First International Symposium on the Photofunctional Chemistry of Complex Systems
- Co-organizer of various symposia at ECS, ACS, and Pacifichem meetings
Service on several DOE, DOD, NSF-CBET, NSF-SBIR, NSF-NER, and related funding panels
- Editorial Board of Langmuir (current)
- Associate Editor of Journal of the American Chemical Society (2003 to 2014)
PUBLICATIONS: Go to Publications Page.